Friends of Smyrna Library (FOSL) is a 501© (3) nonprofit organization formed to promote the Smyrna Library and its activities through special programs, exhibits, and materials beyond regular resources of the library.
Volunteer at Smyrna
- Helping cut crafts out for story time programs
- Helping call patrons about Book Holds
- Shelf Reading
- Serving on a committee:
- Public Relations
- This involves handling money, charge cards, checks and running the credit card machine
FOSL Contributions (Sep. 2014 - Oct. 2015)
- Paid $562.00 for Movie License for Smyrna Public Library
- Paid $25.00 for Friends of Tennessee Libraries Membership
- Paid $50.00 for United for Libraries Membership - ALA(The Voice Newsletter)
- Gave $400.00 to the SPL Winter Reading Program
- Received Bridgestone Grant - $500.00- Summer Reading Program
- Received Wal-Mart Grant - $500.00 - Summer Reading Program
- Gave $200.00 to help send two SPL employees to Conference in Memphis
- Paid $68.00 for food for Spring Linebaugh Board Meeting at SPL
- Kick-Off of Spruce Up Smyrna Library Capital Gains Campaign - April 24th
- Gave $15,000.00 to the Spruce Up Smyrna Library Campaign Fundraiser
- SUSL Fundraiser Committee has raised $48,000.00 towards their goal of $100,000.00
- Held first "Souper" Friends Saturday Membership Drive -January 24th
- Created a Hospitality Committee and a Nominating Committee
- Purchased food for International Folk Group during Summer Reading - $280.00
- Purchased $20.00 gift cards for each of the 17 SPL employees for Christmas 2014
- Gave $250.00 for 2014 Halloween in the Park - candy for Children Services to distribute
- Gave $400.00 for 2015 Halloween in the Park - Booth Rent and Candy for Children Services to distribute
- Depot Days - Third year to have booth
- Paid $10 per SPL Staff member for lunch during Staff Development Day
- Gave $2500.00 to SPL to purchase books to add to the SPL collection
- Gave $1150.00 towards the cost of the Linebaugh System Strategic Planning Consultant
- FOSL members manning all shifts for the Scholastic Half Price Book Sale for Miss Sandy (2014, 2015)
- Have increased our membership to 17 life and 83 regular members for a total of 100 members & got more involved in various activities throughout the year.
Friends of Smyrna Library Board- 2016
Theresa Pickett - President
Robert J. Myers - Vice President
Betsy Waldron - Secretary
Joel Parks - Treasurer
At large: Rebecca Lucier Cowan, Cindy Harmon, Roseanne Peppers
For information about Smyrna Friends, contact the Smyrna Library at (615) 459-4884.
If you would like to volunteer with the Friends of Smyrna Library, please fill out our Volunteer Survey Form.
To join, complete the FOSL membership form. Like us on Facebook today!