Linebaugh Historical Research Room
The Historical Research Room (HRR), located on the second floor of Linebaugh Public Library, features Rutherford County materials and Tennessee genealogical resources. The HRR is open during regular library hours, though it does close one half hour before the library closes. The materials in the room are a reference and research collection and are for in-house use only.
The Historical Research Room collection includes:
- More than 10,000 books covering the Eastern, Southern, and Midwest regions of the U.S. and more than 5,200 rolls of microfilm - including the large L.W. Anderson that was donated to our historical collection in 1998.
- Access to Ancestry Library Edition (in-library use only) and HeritageQuest Online. Visit our Research Genealogy page for more information. Click here to use HeritageQuest on a computer outside of the library; you will need to enter your library card number.
- A microfilm reader/printer, computer access, and a Bookscribe copier.
- Our Rutherford County and Tennessee sources include:
- Newspapers from Murfreesboro are on microfilm for 1931 to the present. From 1820-1930 only scattered issues have survived and are available on microfilm.
- Murfreesboro city directories for 1925, 1934, 1940, 1947, 1950, 1956, 1958, 1960, 1962, 1964, 1966, 1967, 1969-89, and 1991-present
- Murfreesboro telephone directories for 1940 and 1953 to present
- Rutherford County Court Records on microfilm for 1804-1999
- An index compiled fromDaily News Journal obituaries from 1976 to present
- The Tennessee Death Index for 1908-1956 and some death certificates on microfilm for Rutherford County
- Tennessee Confederate soldier pension records on microfilm
- Collection of many local school yearbooks
- Books by Rutherford County authors
If you have questions or need more information about the HRR collection, please contact the Reference Department at 615-893-4131, ext. 117, or email email@example.com.
Research assistance may be requested by completing our Research Request Form (PDF). The research fee is $5.00 per name (or inquiry), including postage and up to five copies.
Smyrna Historical Research Collection
The Smyrna Public Library has a small genealogy and historical research collection, focusing on Rutherford County and Middle Tennessee.
The collection includes:
- A collection of printed material on Rutherford County, including cemetery records, early wills, county census records, community histories, history of the county schools, marriage records, and the Rutherford County Historical Society publications.
- Rutherford County vertical file - These files contains clippings from local newspapers, pamphlets, and ephemera on subjects relating to Smyrna, Rutherford County, and local individuals.
- Copies of books and magazine publications by local authors, including EmmetGowan and Brainard Cheney.
- A collection of photographs and materials from Smyrna's Old Rock School, which was located on the current site of Smyrna Library.
- Microfilm of the Rutherford Courier, 1931-2005.
- Microfilm of Rutherford County Court Records from 1804-1963 and other local records.
- A print obituary index (from Rutherford County newspapers) from 1988-present.
- Federal census records and indexes for Tennessee from 1810-1930 (book and/or microfilm).
- Extensive collection of printed materials for the State of Tennessee in general and for the counties of Middle Tennessee.
- Access to Ancestry Library Edition and HeritageQuest Online. Visit our Research Genealogy page for more information.
If you have questions or need more information about the Smyrna collection, please contact Reference at 615-459-4884 or email firstname.lastname@example.org