Linebaugh Historical Research Room
The Historical Research Room (HRR), located on the second floor of Linebaugh Public Library, features Rutherford County, TN, materials and Tennessee genealogical resources. The HRR is open during regular library hours. The materials in the room are a reference and research collection and are not available for check out or interlibrary loan.
The Historical Research Room includes:
• More than 10,000 books covering the Eastern, Southern, and Midwest regions of the U.S. and more than 5,000 rolls of microfilm. Our Rutherford County and Tennessee sources include:
◦ A large collection of printed material on Rutherford County, including cemetery records, early wills, county census records, community histories, history of the county schools, marriage records, and the Rutherford County Historical Society publications.
◦ Rutherford County vertical file: These files contain clippings from local newspapers, pamphlets, and ephemera on subjects relating to Murfreesboro, Rutherford County, and local individuals. We also have a Family History File, containing donated genealogy research on Middle Tennessee families.
◦ Microfilm of Murfreesboro newspapers from 1931 to present. (From 1820-1930 only scattered issues have survived.)
◦ Murfreesboro city directories are available for 1925, 1934, 1940, 1947, 1950, 1956, 1958-66, 1969-89, and 1991-present. Murfreesboro telephone directories are available from 1954 to present.
◦ Microfilm of Rutherford County Court Records from 1804-1999, Rutherford County Death Certificates from 1914-1925, Tennessee Death Index from 1908-1944, Tennessee Confederate Soldier Pension Records, and other local records.
◦ A print obituary index (from the Murfreesboro newspaper) from 1985 to present.
◦ Federal census records and indexes from 1810-1930 (book and/or microfilm).
◦ Extensive collection of printed materials for the State of Tennessee in general and for the counties of Tennessee.
• The L.W. Anderson Genealogical Collection - Donated to the library by Ms. Anne Anderson, this collection includes books and microfilm that were formerly part of the L.W. Anderson Genealogical Library in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. The materials cover 36 states and 22 categories of genealogical interest, including New England, the Midwest, Southern states, North America, and Europe. Types of material include census records, passenger lists, military rosters, court records, tax lists, marriage records, and cemetery records.
• Surname Index, a collection of surnames submitted by researching patrons providing their contact information to share and exchange research information with others. The surname sheets are kept in two alphabetized binders.
• Genealogical journals and publications, including Middle Tennessee Journal of Genealogy and History, Tennessee Historical Quarterly, and historical society publications from various Middle Tennessee counties.
• Access to Ancestry Library Edition (in-library use only) and HeritageQuest Online. Visit our Articles & Databases page for more information. Click here to use HeritageQuest on a computer outside of the library; you will need to enter your library card number.
• Multiple microfilm readers, computer access, and a Bookscribe copier.
If you have questions or need more information about the HRR collection, please contact the Reference Department at 615-893-4131, ext. 117, or email email@example.com.
Research assistance may be requested by completing our Research Request Form (PDF). The research fee is $5.00 per name (or inquiry), including postage and up to five copies.
Smyrna Historical Research Collection
The Smyrna Library has a small genealogy and historical research collection, focusing on Rutherford County and Middle Tennessee. The collection includes:
• A collection of printed material on Rutherford County, including cemetery records, early wills, county census records, community histories, history of the county schools, marriage records, and the Rutherford County Historical Society publications.
• Rutherford County vertical file - These files contains clippings from local newspapers, pamphlets, and ephemera on subjects relating to Smyrna, Rutherford County, and local individuals.
• Sewart Air Force Base collection - A collection of materials and ephemera from Smyrna's Sewart Air Base, which closed in 1970, including group and wing histories, mission reports, photographs, and copies of the base newspaper, The Carrier's Courier.
• Copies of books and magazine publications by local authors, including Emmet Gowan and Brainard Cheney.
• A collection of photographs and materials from Smyrna's Old Rock School, which was located on the current site of Smyrna Library.
• Microfilm of the Rutherford Courier, 1931-2005.
• Microfilm of Rutherford County Court Records from 1804-1963 and other local records.
• A print obituary index (from Rutherford County newspapers) from 1988-present.
• Smyrna city directories and telephone directories are available from 1990 to present.
• Federal census records and indexes for Tennessee from 1810-1930 (book and/or microfilm).
• Extensive collection of printed materials for the State of Tennessee in general and for the counties of Middle Tennessee.
• Genealogical journals and publications, including Middle Tennessee Journal of Genealogy and History, Tennessee Historical Quarterly (1956-1986, 2002-present), and Tennessee Folklore Society Bulletin (1948-1970).
If you have questions or need more information about the Smyrna collection, please contact Reference at 615-459-4884 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Local Genealogical Resources
The Albert Gore Research Center - The Albert Gore Research Center is a manuscripts repository dedicated to preserving and making available for research primary source materials related to Tennessee history; located at MTSU.
Middle Tennessee Genealogical Society - MTGS serves the 40 counties of Middle Tennessee, hosting genealogical seminars and publishing the Middle Tennessee Journal of Genealogy & History.
Rutherford County Archives - The Archives seeks to preserve and protect the written documents, past and present, generated by the government offices of Rutherford County.
Rutherford County Historical Society - RCHS's purpose is to discover, procure, and preserve the facts, articles, or documents that related to the history of Rutherford County.
TNGenWeb - Volunteer project to create a source location for online genealogical research for every county in Tennessee.
Tennessee State Library & Archives - Collection of records, manuscripts, and other documents related to Tennessee history and genealogy; located in Nashville.
Tennessee Vital Records - How and where to obtain copies of birth, death, marriage, and divorce certificates.