Wireless access is available at all locations
Internet Use Policy
Linebaugh Public Library is now offering free wireless Internet access to those with a portable computer and wireless 802.1a or 802.1b/g wireless network adapter. Wireless access is available throughout the library with the best signal on the second floor. Access is also available outdoors in the plaza area adjacent to the main entrance. All wireless users must first obtain a username and password from the upstairs Reference desk. Due to the variety of hardware/software configurations, we cannot provide technical support; however, we do provide some guidance below. For additional help, check your computer’s documentation, or look under Windows Help.
Connecting to the wireless network from Windows XP:
These instructions assume you are using Windows XP Home or Professional edition with Service Pack 2, and Windows is managing your wireless adapter. If your wireless adapter was installed using third-party software, please refer to the software’s documentation.
Go to the start menu, then “settings,” and select “network connections.” Under network connections, right-click the wireless network connection icon and select “view available wireless networks.” Select the network named “Linebaugh Library,” and click the connect button at the bottom of the window. If you are prompted whether you’d like to connect to an “unsecured network,” click “connect anyway.” For more information on our wireless security, please see the section titled “About Security” at the end of this page. Once successfully connected, you should see a status of “Connected” and a yellow star as pictured below.
Accessing the Internet:
Once you’ve connected to the wireless network, start your Internet browser. If asked whether to trust a certificate, click yes. You should now be at a page prompting for a username and password. Enter this information in all capital letters from the slip you received at the Reference desk. If you’ve done everything correctly, you should now be at the Linebaugh Library home page. Please note that printers are not available on the wireless network.
Linebaugh Library does not use encryption on the wireless network. Although we have taken measures to secure the network, it is not foolproof. As such, wireless users are advised not to transmit any sensitive information. The library makes no guarantee on the security of information transmitted, and the decision of whether to transmit sensitive data is at the user’s discretion. Further, it is the responsibility of the patron to protect their own computers from potential compromise by keeping their software up to date with the latest security patches, using a personal firewall, etc.
Internet Use Policy – Linebaugh Library System (revised 2/21/05)
• The Library makes the Internet accessible in accordance with its mission of providing access to information and resources to meet the needs of its constituency.
• The Library is CIPA compliant and has blocking software on all Internet terminals. The blocking software, or filter, is not a perfect system and due to its technological limitations may allow sites that could be harmful to minors and may block access to constitutionally protected material on the Internet. The Library may allow access to blocked sites for adult patrons 18 and over upon request. Information on the Internet may be reliable and current, or it may be inaccurate, out-of-date, or unavailable. The Internet contains material that is controversial and inappropriate for children. Library users access the Internet at their own discretion.
• Parents/legal guardians assume responsibility for anything their children may access on the Internet. The Library is not responsible if children violate Library and parental rules. The Library’s computers are not under constant employee supervision.
• Use of the Library computers and the Internet for any purpose that violates federal, state or local laws is prohibited, including:
◦ Accessing obscenity and or child pornography
◦ Propagation of computer worms and viruses
◦ Attempting to breach the Library network and other networks via the Internet
◦ Transfer or use of copyrighted materials without explicit consent from the owner
• Attempting to modify or delete software and data, or installing other software onto the Library computers is not permitted, and will be subject to a revoking of privileges.
Use of the Internet is a privilege, not a right, and violation of the Internet Use Policy will result in a cancellation of this privilege.